Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics was established in the year 1971. B.Sc. Mathematics with Physics and Statistics as ancillaries was introduced in the academic year 1971-1972. M.Sc. Mathematics was started in the academic year 2010-2011. Presently the Department is functioning with the following programs:
|B.Sc. Mathematics||Tamil & English Medium||I Shift|
|B.Sc. Mathematics||English Medium||II Shift|
|M.Sc. Mathematics||English Medium||I Shift|
The total sanctioned strength for B.Sc. Mathematics programme is 96, and, M.Sc. Mathematics is 24. At present there are 311 students in the Department. There is well equipped Computer Laboratory in the Department with 15 systems with LAN connections, 5 UPS with total capacity of 7kva, 3 Laser Printers and 1 Dot Matrix Printer. Also the Department is having its own Library with around 2500 books.
- The Mission of the Department of Mathematics is to provide a strong foundation in Mathematics through quality teaching and a best way that supports outstanding research and to proceed further with collaborative programmes.
- The Vision of the Department is to impart basic knowledge of mathematics so as to renovate the students from the rural area mathematically literate and to proceed their studies further and to encourage the students to do research by imparting thorough knowledge and skills in advanced mathematics and make them confident about their career and future.
On successful completion of their studies all the students should
- have developed problems solving skills.
- be able to understand and present mathematical arguments and rigorous proofs.
- have learned to apply critical and analytical reasoning and to present logical and concise arguments.