Department of Geography
B.Sc Degree course in Geography was introduced in 1978-79 with Physics, Botany and Statistics as Allied Subjects. There were about 20 students taught in English medium. In 1981 Tamil medium started. The department works efficiently due to the valuable contributions of Dr. Parvathy M.A. Ph.D. our former professor, principle and Director of collegiate Education, Chennai followed by Dr.G.Soundaravalli. PG Geography was introduced in 2004 and M.Phil programme in 2013.
- We envision that the department will continue to build its reputation in undergraduate geography programs in the areas of mapping science, global systems analysis, earth science, environmental analysis and planning, and urban and regional planning.
- Geography faculty will work to maintain, update, and improve the curricula associated with these outstanding programs.
- We aim to aid our students in developing the capacity for both innovative and integrative thinking in a variety of professional and intellectual contexts.
- The Department of Geography is committed to offering to our student the highest quality instruction and mentoring we can provide commensurate with the mission and goals of M.V.Muthiah Govt Arts College, Dindigul.
- High quality instruction in the programs leading to majors in Geography, Earth Science, Environmental Analysis and Planning, and Urban and Regional Planning necessitates mastery of a variety of skills in spatial analysis, application of field-based techniques and interpretation, analytical laboratory practices, and the use of technology in addition to a clear understanding of key concepts and basic methodology.
- The curriculum has been framed so as to enable the students to
- Have better understanding about Geography, a science of spatial phenomena Environment and society.
- To trace problems existing in the society and environment.
- To develop scientific attitude method in solving the problems.
- The syllabus has been redesigned to be job-oriented and applicable for advanced courses of higher studies.